Serving as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Concepcion, Chile from November 2013---October 2015

Thursday, December 12, 2013

Last Week in the CCM

Hey Yáll, only three more days until i head out for Chile! I am so stoked to head in to the field but I have my worries. But doesn´t everyone, going to a strange place with strange people in a strange land. One of the best parts about my district is that most of he people I love are going to the same Mission. 

Thank you so much for the package! it was the best thing that happened here yet! Almost as fun as when one of the hermana´s in my district accidentally swung a tennis racket into my head and cut right above my eye. The doctor said i would need stitches but i did not want janky stitches here in mexico so the just bandaged it up and now it is as good as new! All healed up and everything!

So the most glorious even that happen this last week, due to the needs of refurbishing the dorms they moved all the Elders into ¨casa´s¨and they only have ice cold water for showers, which is no bueno! I also have two more roommates, who are both fast spanish speakers from the US. They are so annoying at night they never go to bed!  However the interesting thing about having met these two new missionaries are that I have found out about the underground tie trades, and those are quite intesting. I have been trading a tie I found under my casa bed all the way into a sweet red tie that I can wear for Christmas in Chile!

Speaking of Christmas we were able to watch the Christmas Devotional, and it was sooooo gran! we need to remember that Christmas is not about present, or even about giving gifts to others. It is all a remembrance of the greatest gift the human race has ever received, that of the gift to return to Heavenly Father and live joyfully all our lives after we die. Are these things not ¨Good tidings of great joy?¨ How will we spend our Christmas? Thinking about what kinds of items we may receive this year, or what how great it will be after we finally have the rush of the holiday season. Or shall we give service to those others around us. I will miss the times of Christmas Eve with the Wardles, or the overwhelming burst of happiness from the babies after they open every present. I would love those moments when we would open a present, and love it so much that we would not want to open anything else. Why can´t we feel like that every Christmas morning, just from remembering the greatest gift of all. As the scriptures define Christ, why can we not be filled after having received the Prince of Peace. for peace comes to all those who desire of it. How sweet the sound is, such amazing grace and love. Why can we not always feel full from the Spirit of thanksgiving and desire for Christ.

This past SUNDAY may have been one of the most spiritual expereices yet. I gave a full 10 minute talk (i guess we were not supposed to speak more than 5 minutes) but it was all in Spanish and I only needed a few notes! The closing speaker of that day was one of the Preisdency of our ward and he talked about one of his step fathers passing, and after having servied for the church for more than 45 years spoke his last words, which were these ¨enjoy the faith, for it shall carry you far.¨ To makes things better President Holland spoke on never losing faith, his literal words were, for all those who have served full time missions and fall away from the church, Ï hope I would find you in a dark alley!¨ He spoke with power, that after having served a mission there is not a day he doesn´t look back and graciously thanked God for the change in his heart he recieved to the Lord. To end the night we watched the Restoration and it was just as good as the rest of the day, a few quotes I jotted down that I would love to share follow:

  • From Joseph to his Father-¨you have watched us all our lives, now let us watch you¨as he lay sick in bed dying¨. Thank you Dad for love you have given me throughout all the times. Some days have been rough, and some have been blessed, but through all the days you have always loved me. 

  • Emma Smith-¨Have you ever thought God asks to much of us?                               Joseph-         ¨I do not allow myself¨

  • Joseph- The Lord brings us down to build us up.¨
In my district many people have been through thick and thin. Brothers and fathers have left the church and tear at the family, Fathers have passed away, disease has broken families, and death humbles all. But what we all have in common is a knowledge that our purpose is jsut and what we have to pass along is of love and Christ. Compassion is a strong bond, that creates relationships that hold forever. And these empathetic cords can only be formed through trials themselves. Experiences that have changed all our lives in differing ways, are what keep our grip so strong onto the iron rod. How can we not have Hope for our work, and for the future. One of my new favorite quotes come from the wonderful prophet, Gordon B Hinkley: No greater joy comes from being the answer to someone else´s prayer.¨ I am so grateful to do the work and cannot wait to enter the field through all its thorns and thistles!

Love you alls!


Elder Siaosi









No comments:

Post a Comment